Tips For Healthy Legs For Life!
Improving your circulation and muscle tone reduces your risk of developing varicose veins and can treat symptoms caused from varicose veins. Follow the tips for healthy legs.
- Avoid sitting or standing for long periods. Change position frequently. Flexing your ankles and stretching your legs to improve circulation.
- Any physical activity improves the circulation in your legs. Try walking, biking, swimming or yoga.
- Excessive heat (sunbathing, hot baths, and saunas) causes your veins to dilate and increase the pooling of blood in the vein making your symptoms worse.
- Elevating your legs (above the level of your heart when possible) will help blood flow and decrease swelling. Consider elevating your legs while sitting or lying down.
- Managing your weight with a healthy diet and regular exercise will decrease the pressure in your veins. A low salt diet will help prevent swelling caused from water retention.
- Avoid wearing high heels and tight clothes around the waist and legs that could prevent blood flow. Low heeled shoes increase the use of your calf muscles, which aids in circulation.
- Gradient compression socks or stockings can relieve symptoms and decrease your risk of additional varicose veins. They improve circulation; and aid in venous blood flow to the heart; preventing pooling of the blood in the veins, decreasing swelling and discomfort caused by varicose veins. Always wear your compression hose when traveling for long periods.